Abbotsford International Airport
Abbotsford International Airport ( YXX )was built in 1943, at which time it consisted of 3 runways 5,100 feet long and 200 feet wide. It is located at: 30440 Liberator Avenue, Abbotsford BC, V2T 6H5
In 1948 the Airport was used to hold cattle and other animals, as well as people from Matsqui; so they could be safe from the Fraser River flood. 1962 marks when the first annual Abbotsford Airshow was held. Sponsored by the Abbotsford Rotary Club and the Abbotsford Flying Club. In 1997, ownership of the Airport was transferred over The City of Abbotsford from The Department of Transportation for the cost of a whopping $10. This was also the year that WestJet Airlines took it’s first flight and the Abbotsford Airport became a jet passenger airport.
By 2006 Abbotsford Airport had 502,633 passengers per year. In 2018, Abbotsford International Airport saw over 840,000 passengers move through the airport.