It’s that time of year again, BACK TO SCHOOL! Now while us parents are celebrating the kids are sulking that summer is indeed coming to an end, we want to remind you of a few things to ensure the safety of our kids. Even though we love that extra “parent time” we will get while our little ones (or not so little anymore) are off expanding their brains, as they march out that door there really is only one thing that’s important, that they get to where they are going and come back to us safely.
With technology at our fingertips (literally) please remind your kids to keep their phones down and heads up while walking. And above all, be safe while walking to school. Here are some tips to remind them of:
- Don’t walk and text, if you have to talk or text, stop and move out of the way of others or to the side of walk ways etc.
- Do NOT cross the street while using your device, cross only at crosswalks and be sure to look both ways multiple times to ensure it is safe to cross.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times, make sure you’re paying attention to everything around you.
- Don’t walk with headphones in, keep your eyes and ears open to your surroundings.
- Walk with a friend or a group, it’s safer as well as good company
- Stay the path, whatever your route is to school and home again, make sure you stay on that route, or if you want to go a different way make sure to discuss it with your parents first.
- Wear bright colors, clothes that make you highly visible to drivers and others.
- Obey the crossing guards, they are there to make sure you are safe.
- If you bike to school, make sure to always wear your helmet, and know the rules of the road.
Driving Safety Tips for Back To School!
Life gets so busy, we rush around to get our kids up and fed, then off to school and ourselves off to work. We forget that a huge unforgettable mistake can happen in a blink of an eye. I know you’re busy as parents but we have some things you should remember as well.
- Reduce your speed. Respect speed limits in school zones, playground zones and residential areas.
- Make sure your kids all have their seat belts on and are properly secured in their seats.
- Be vigilant, should check often, keep your eyes open and watch for kids darting into traffic, kids playing, be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Stay off your phones! Nothing is so important it excuses you using your phone, while driving. In a split second something terrible could happen. Please stay off the phone, save a child’s life.
- Obey the crossing guards, they help keep our kids safe during the Back to School season.
- Don’t try to pass a school bus, there may be kids exiting the bus that you may not see.
- Leave a little early, so there will be no need to rush.
- Ensure it is safe to exit the car once you have parked, shoulder check and make sure the kids are being let out away from traffic.
- To avoid the congestion at the school, park a block away and walk the rest with your kid. It’s a perfect bonding moment, and you will be on your way faster than trying to get out of the school zone while everyone else is fighting to get in or out with you. So much less stress, trust me!
School Bus Etiquette
- Stay away from traffic while waiting for the bus to arrive. Please don’t roughhouse, or play near the road.
- Line up and when the bus comes use the hand rails or grips to get in, and watch your step.
- Sit in your seat properly, bag either beside you or in the floor at your feet, keep your bags out of the isles and walk ways.
- Always use your “inside” voices, no screaming, fighting or talking too loudly that could distract the driver or disrupt other patrons.
- Stay in your seat at all times until instructed to get off, keeping your extremities inside and to yourself for the duration of the trip
- Gather your belongings together before you reach your stop
- Wait for instruction from the driver to exit, and use the hand rails when stepping down.
- Watch for cars and stay clear of the bus as well when you’re off it
- Be aware of bus rules for emergencies as well
- Always listen to and follow the bus drivers instructions.
Let’s all do our part in keeping our kids safe, and creating a safe environment for all of our future generations to enjoy. We wish you an amazing end of Summer and a wonderful Back To School year start from the Fraser Valley Now family to yours!